Friday, May 22, 2015

It's Time to Cut the CAKE and your Stamps!!!



Hello everyone! Susan here with a tutorial using Viva Las VegaStamps! and some birthday cardmaking fun! There is a great challenge over at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers "C is for Cake" and I just couldn't "resist" playing along - LOL!



I've had this "Chicken Crying" stamp for a while now and I've been dying to use him. Today is the day!!! I inked him up with some Versafine black in and embossed him with VLVS! Ultra High Gloss Embossing Powder. Then while the stamp was still wet, I stamped and cut a quick post-it note mask.


With my quickie mask in place, I repeat the process with the "Cake with Candle" stamp. I also make a quick mask of the cake so I can do something with this plain white background. I don't want to cut out and paste these onto something else... I'm going to work around my grouping and it's pretty easy.


On my craft sheet I smooshed out a few colors of Distress Paint spritzed with a bit of water, then blended with my brayer. With my post-it masks in place, I rolled the color over my images. I picked up more color and reapplied until it was to my liking.


Now to add some music to my background! Using some blue dye ink I stamp the "Sheet Music Background" #19557 over my layers.


Before removing masks, I added one more stamp to ground my scene - the "Smear/Smudge" #19573. Now it's Reveal time!! A little paint got under my mask and I'm perfectly fine with that.


Now it's time for some color with Ranger Distress Markers and a little glittery shimmer!

  

I need to make a quick sentiment and I don't want to cut and paste words together in this case... so I give you a TIP – I'm cutting my stamp, "Happy Birthday from One Old Buzzard to Another!". I gently cut "birthday" and "another" apart from the phrase and lined them up on my block. Don't be afraid this is very liberating!!


I stamped onto the edge of my creation so it matches and give it a kiss of embossing powder for some POP! I made the ... by tapping the back end of a paintbrush into the ink using as a stamp.


I trimmed everything, layered with mats and Miracle Tape and I have a fun birthday card ready to go! This is so going to my sister who's birthday is next week... she's cracking the big 4-0.

"It's My Party and I wanna Cry"


• • • • • • • • • • • • •


Other Supplies: white, teal and blue cardstocks; Ranger Distress Paint, Ranger Distress Markers; Sakura of America Gelly Roll® Stardust® Pen, paper trimmer; sticky back gems; and May Arts trim.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •


Thanks so much for dropping by! It's a holiday weekend and that brings a SALE at the VLVS! store... CLICK HERE for details. Also are you a fellow rubber addict?  Here's your chance to join the design team {CLICK HERE for details} and stamp til your hearts content!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. Hope you have a fabulous day!!  Sb

9 comments:

by belle said...

Great card Susan! Fabulous masking!!

Lindsey said...

I love this, Susan! There is nothing better than adding a crying chicken to a slice of birthday cake. So much fun! Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Donna said...

Nothing says birthday like cake and a crying chicken! Fab-U-lous!
Thanks for joining to the sisterhood of snarky stampers for our "C is for Cake" challenge!!

The Colour Press said...

What a fab idea.

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

I love it. It looks so cool. Thanks for joining us at Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.

Barbara Godden said...

Love your card, love those stamps, love your tutorial on the sentiments and the masking, something I don't do enough of. Thanks for joining us at the sisterhood of snarky stampers for the C is for Cake challenge.

Chris Dring said...

Holy crow! (er, chicken!) This card ROCKS! Love the background you created, plus your ninja masking and coloring skills! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Karen Schroeder said...

Awesome card! Love the combination of a crying chicken and a slice of birthday cake! Your masking skills and the techniques you use with them rock! Thanks for having cake with us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Chris Dring said...

Hi Susan! Just wanted to let you know that you were picked as our Queen of Snark at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for this awesome card! We'd love for you to join us as our next guest designer. Please email me, cdring at comcast dot net for the details! Hope to hear from you soon!

hugs! Chris Dring